2023 Piano Concerto Competition Winners
Category 1: High School (9th-12th grades)
- First Place: Lucie Kim (11th, Orange County School of the Arts)
- Second Place (tied): Jacqueline Mancera (12th, South Pasadena High School)
- Second Place (tied): Ashlyn Bendorf (12th, Homeschool, IDAHO)
- Honorable Mention: Sebastian Quadrini (12th, Claremont High School)
- Honorable Mention: Landon Fringer (10th, Santa Monica High School)
- Honorable Mention: Chloe Jiang (9th, Harvard-Westlake School)
- Honorable Mention: Anna Bendorf (9th, Snake River Opportunities High School, IDAHO)
- Honorable Mention: Justin Chan (9th, Punahou School, HAWAII)
Category 2: Middle School (6th-8th grades)
- Honorable Mention: Jessica Lu (8th, Temecula Preparatory School)
Category 3: Elementary School (K-5th grades)
- Honorable Mention: Scarlett Liu (2nd, Canyon View Elementary School)
- Honorable Mention: Kento Ishikawa (3rd, Colburn School & El Marino Language School)
- The first place winner will perform a solo piano concerto with LAYP on Sat. July 8, 2023 at Walt Disney Concert Hall. The Summer Concert Committee will decide the repertoire and notify the winner of it in January or February.
- The two tied second place winners will perform a double piano concerto with LAYP on Sat. July 8, 2023 at Walt Disney Concert Hall. The double piano concerto commissioned by LAYP will be premiered. The piano scores will be provided in January.
- The Honorable Mention winners will be nominated as a potential soloist for LAYP Chamber Music Series in 2023-24 season. To see the past Chamber Music Series, click here.
- The orchestral & choral pianists: If the repertoires of the LAYP Orchestra | Band | Choir concerts on Sat. July 8, 2023 at Disney Hall include a piano, the Honorable Mention winners in Category 1: High School are eligible to be nominated. The repertoire is supposed to be finalized in March or April.
- A concert tour: If the LAYP Chamber Ensemble takes a concert trip to Hawaii in summer 2024, the winners are eligible to be nominated as a soloist. If the winners from the other states/countries can travel to Los Angeles, s/he may register for Chamber Music Series 2023-24.
- Please confirm receipt of this result by email at firstname.lastname@example.org after checking your name, spelling, school, etc.
- Your audition video: Do not remove your audition video. The conductors may watch your video in preparation of the rehearsals.
- Email Communication: Please note that most program updates, ticket sales, and other information will take place by email. Be sure to email us if you change your email address.
- The first & second places winners: click here to register
- The Honorable Mention winners or the orchestral & choral pianists: click here to register if you are interested in Chamber Music Series or the orchestral & choral pianists and want to be nominated as a potential soloist.
- The registration deadline: Tues. Jan. 17, 2023 11:59 PM (Pacific Time)
Dear the winners,
Congratulations! We are extremely pleased to notify you that you have been selected as a winner of the 2023 LAYP (Los Angeles Youth Philharmonic) Piano Concerto Competition.
The Performer Selection Committee reviewed your application and chose you to represent the LAYP’s uniqueness and excellence. Your selection is a direct result of the dedication and achievements demonstrated in your application
LAYP Orchestra | Band | Choir – Performer Selection Committee
- If you need a certificate, please make a screenshot of this page.